Mazda Motor Corporation has commenced sales of the all-new Mazda Premacy (known overseas as the Mazda5) in Japan. Mazda’s stylish, versatile and uniquely functional seven-seat minivan goes on sale today at all Mazda, Mazda Anfini and Mazda Autozam dealerships nationwide. Manufacturer’s suggested retail prices (including sales taxes) range from 1,799,000 to 2,314,000 yen. The target sales volume is 1,800 units per month. A four-wheel-drive (4WD) version will be released in early August.
The Mazda Premacy minivan is one of Mazda’s mainstay products and is sold in major markets all around the world. Since its introduction in 1999, over 830,000 Premacy units have been produced, as of May 2010.
The development concept for the new Premacy was “Contemporary Smart Choice.” It reflects Mazda’s intention to create an eco-friendly minivan that every member of the family can enjoy. To achieve this, the development goals included stylish design; dual sliding rear doors; a flexible interior space with multiple seat arrangements; a smooth and pleasing sporty ride; and outstanding fuel economy. The result is a new type of family-focused people mover that can meet all the varied needs of families around the world.
The all-new Mazda Premacy offers customers an original and alluring design based on Mazda’s Nagare (meaning “flow” in Japanese) design language. Nagare is inspired by the flows found in nature, such as the movement of water or the effect of wind. Featuring elements seen on Mazda’s Nagare series of concept cars, which have received rave reviews at motor shows over the past several years, the Premacy becomes the first Mazda production model to fully adopt the Nagare design concept.
Equipment such as the wide-opening dual sliding doors and the uniquely versatile second row center seat, which was developed based on Mazda’s ‘six-plus-one’ packaging concept, contribute to the outstanding functionality that enables the Premacy to meet all kinds of lifestyle needs. Other useful improvements on the new model include a more user-friendly cockpit, more comfortable seats, and redesigned storage spaces.
Additionally, the all-new Premacy is now available with Mazda’s unique idling stop system, i-stop. Without any conscious effort from the driver, i-stop technology automatically stops and restarts the engine almost instantly to save fuel and contribute to eco-friendly driving. The i-stop model grades (20S and 20E with front-wheel drive [FWD]) offer the highest fuel economy of any two-liter minivan in Japan. They are rated at 16.0 kilometers per liter (km/l) according to Japan’s 10-15 mode test cycle (versions with power sliding doors are rated at 15.0 km/l). They also qualify for Japan’s eco-car incentive program and the Japanese government’s eco-car tax reductions. Mazda’s i-stop system is already available on the Mazda Axela (Mazda3) and Mazda Biante in Japan.
The all-new Premacy’s driving performance is smooth and sporty. This was achieved through Toitsukan, a Japanese word which conveys the promise of a consistent and linear driving feel that enables the car’s movements to perfectly mirror the driver’s inputs.
* Vehicles produced in Japan with 2,000cc engines and three rows of seats.
Main features of the all-new Mazda Premacy
1.Original Nagare design is functional and alluring
A world apart from conventional boxy minivans, the all-new Premacy’s design communicates a lively and elegant atmosphere. The exterior design also contributes to outstanding aerodynamics – the coefficient of drag (Cd) is just 0.3 – which results in improved fuel economy and quietness on the highway. Key features are:
- Groundbreaking exterior design, with beautiful lines flowing from the vehicle’s front to the rear.
- A driver-oriented cockpit: Nagare design is also reflected throughout the cabin, from the instrument panel to the stitching on the seat covers.
- Chrome and silver trim on the switchgear that enhances the impression of high quality and sportiness.
- Functional design: by controlling the flow of air around the vehicle body, the design also helps to reduce wind noise.
2.The Premacy’s characteristic packaging and functionality further refined
The all-new Mazda Premacy features user-friendly and convenient dual sliding doors. The spacious interior provides comfortable seating for seven adults, with plenty of shoulder room. Despite this generous width, the Premacy is easy to maneuver with a turning circle of just 5.3 meters.
Based on Mazda’s ‘six-plus-one’ packaging concept, the Premacy includes a Karakuri seventh seat (second-row center seat) that can be converted into a center armrest, or a convenient storage space. It can also be neatly folded away to create a central walkway from the first to the third row seats. With the added benefit of second and third row seats that can be independently positioned, the new Premacy offers a unique and varied range of seating options. Improvements over the previous model include:
- More comfortable front seats due to wider seatbacks.
- The second row center seat (the Karakuri seventh seat), which can be converted to an armrest or storage box, or folded away to create a center aisle, is now larger and more comfortable.
- The wide-opening dual sliding doors have an added front latch for enhanced safety.
- Customers can now choose one or two power sliding rear doors.
- A new touch sensor prevents objects being trapped by the power sliding doors.
- The location of the information display screen has been raised to improve visibility and reduce the driver’s eye movement away from the road.
- More user-friendly storage spaces for front seat passengers. The upper tray on each side is wider and a sunglasses holder is added in the ceiling.
- A ceiling deodorizer neutralizes tobacco, adhesive and other unpleasant odors.
- All seats in the 20S grade are upholstered with easy-wipe fabric to prevent stains.
- Climate control improvements, such as more powerful blowers and repositioned air vents, have been added for greater occupant comfort.
3.Superb eco-friendly performance for a sustainable society
All FWD model grades are powered by Mazda’s efficient 2.0-liter direct injection engine. To further improve fuel economy, the 20S and 20E model grades also come with Mazda’s unique idling stop system, i-stop.
The Mazda Premacy is the first mass production Mazda model to undergo a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). The analysis estimates that from manufacture to disposal, the all-new Premacy will produce six percent less CO2 over its lifetime than the previous model. This is due to:
- Fuel economy improvements from enhanced engine control and extended lock-up range.
- Improved fuel economy during highway driving due to outstanding aerodynamic performance (Cd is 0.3).
- The exhaust gas purification system includes a single-nanocatalyst, which reduces the amount of precious metal required in the catalyst by approximately 70 percent.
4.Dynamic performance infused with Toitsukan provides reassuring and enjoyable Zoom-Zoom driving
By developing the vehicle’s movements to directly mirror the driver’s steering wheel, brake and accelerator inputs, the all-new Premacy achieves a smooth and high quality sporty drive feel that enables precise control, whether driving economically or aggressively. Through smoother vehicle running, jerks and vibrations are also reduced, meaning the whole family can enjoy a comfortable and reassuring ride. Improvements include:
- A smooth ride achieved through Toitsukan: a perfectly consistent and linear drive feel experienced through the accelerator, brake and steering wheel.
- Higher local body rigidity and reinforced suspension arm mounts provide outstanding controllability.
- The carefully designed body form controls the flow of air around the vehicle, reducing wind noise.
5.Outstanding safety features to protect your family
The driver-oriented cockpit ensures a wide field of view and highly visible, well-positioned controls. A brake override system is equipped on all models, and the 20S and 20E model grades also come with dynamic stability control (DSC) as standard equipment. Additionally, Mazda’s Advanced Impact-energy Distribution and Absorption System provides excellent collision safety performance. Safety features include:
- A three-point seatbelt and headrest on the second row center seat.
- Anti-whiplash front seats that mitigate neck injuries in the event of a crash.
- The bonnet and front bumper are designed with an energy-absorbing structure, which improves pedestrian protection.
- B-pillars are made of ultra high-tensile steel and side sills are made of high-tensile steel to ensure a strong passenger compartment.
- Side impact protection is increased due to the strong “double hat” cross-section used for the impact beams that are built into the doors.
Related Topic Tags
Discuss this and other Auto news in our Car Forums
- New Rebate for all cars
- 2008 Nissan Armada - Shaking & Tire Wear
- Marks Start Of Acura CSX
- how fast is acura tsx 2008 in 0-60?
- Acura RSX - Integra Again
- $100 back when you test drive and buy
- problems w/ blower
- Ford Parts
- How can I get a hold of potential buyers for my car via the internet?
- Cheap Limo Orange County
- i want to buy a car. what should i get for my first?
- Ford's new Mondeo
- 2014 Buick Regal
- Coming out of Asia and Conquering the World