96 Eagle Talon TSi AWD?

Parker M

Alright, I know most you people like to make fun of sports cars with automatic tranny's but thats what I got, it was a xmas present. I plan on in the future doing a manual swap though but not anytime soon. Ok, heres my question, my cousin works at toyota and he was saying in the automatic transmission i can in a way drive it like a manual, Low, 2nd, and drive, then overdrive. (4 speeds) But I am afraid of messing up something is this true? Also, I was wondering what exactly a shiftlock was, my car has it. But about the "manual" thing. I kind of believe him due to that without touching anything from starting at low (I was stopped completely when messing with it) it would let me go Low to 2nd to Drive without pressing anything, but to bring it back down you had to press the button on top of the shifter. So basically you can upshift without touching anything but when you downshift you have to press the button? Any answers?

erict1689

Rookie
Your friend is right that you can drive your car kind of like it has a manual transmission but this puts some unnecessary strain on the transmission because youll hit some higher rpms than the transmission is meant to go. Also when you do this you have to be careful when you are doing things like getting on the freeway and other things where you need some acceleration. This could cause a distraction and you are likely to either blow the engine or get into an accident. I would leave it alone and drive it like an automatic the way that it is meant to be driven. The shift lock is something that will make sure that the shift knob stays in place when the key is not in the ignition. For instance, when the car is in park and the key is not in the ignition, the shift lock is on and the car will stay in park unless you push the override button or put the key in the ignition. It is a kind of security/safety feature and is not meant to be used while driving.