Drifting apart from a best friend?

kwilson1906

Since about June once of my best friends and I havent been talking to/seeing each other nearly as much as before.

We used to be in all of each others' classes a couple of years ago and sat next to each other in virtually all of them. Since then, I'm now only in one of his classes but we sit at opposite ends of the room and he never talks to me.

We've gone from being the kind of friends who would chat for ages and have a laugh to the kind of friends who just nod and walk on when we see each other in the corridor.

And what makes it even worse is that he really doesnt seem to see the problem or just doesnt care that it's happening.

Any advice as to why this has happened and why he doesnt seem to care?

B

bolillo_loco

Unfortunately, it’s a fact of like that people will come and go. I can’t even begin to list the number of friends that I’ve lost over the years. Since 1983, the year I’ve graduated high school, I’ve lost countless “best” friends due to life changing events. For example, high school graduation, USMC, new job, plant closing, college, moving twenty five miles or more away from my old place of residence, and this is just things that happened to me. Remember that these things happen to other people. As sad as it sounds, most friendships are based out of convenience. Once it becomes a chore to stay friends with somebody, one or both parties quickly abandon the relationship. It truly is sad, but that’s been my experience.

We haven’t even delved into people changing hobbies or losing interest in some common recreational activity.

I’ve lost friends to Jesus…
I’ve lost friends to AA
I’ve lost friends to the bar

And, I’m sure that anybody can easily add to this list…

It’s a part of life. Don’t fret, it’s been my experience that when a friend, I mean good friend drifts out of my life, there’s always another one coming in.

Kevin P

Ok. this has happened to me in the past year. like you said same classes all last year. we would talk forever online. now we have about no classes together. for me. i am trying to be with my friend at lunch, and we walk in the halls sometimes and talk. you said you were in the same class. try to get in groups with him/her. mostly that's it. all you can do is hope next year you have alot more classes together. that's what I'm hoping for. so good luck =/

hbofoates

Rookie
I've been there before too. You have to decide if your friendship is worth you putting in 99% of the work or if it would be better to just let go. Sad fact and you can't keep all your friends forever. Good luck, hope you two can work it out...

if your companionship is worth you putting in 99% of the work or if it would be better to just let go. Sad detail and you can't hold all your associates forever. Good luck, wish you two can work it out...