2002 Sebring 2.7L won't start

cboggs2

Rookie
Recently the primary timing chain tensioner went bad on my wife's 2002 Sebring Convertible 2.7L and caused the chain to jump bending all 12 intake valves. So I pulled the heads, sent them to the machine shop. Now I have the car back together with 3 new chains, 3-tensioners & all guides. I also replaced the water pump because it is driven by the timing chain and the car has 127,000 miles on it.

Now the car won't start. I verified that the timing chains are all timed correctly and all of the ground wires are hooked up. It has 175 pounds compression and there is spark. I verified that I am getting fuel (55psi on rail) so I put a NOID light on all of the injector plugs and I am only getting an injector pulse on #1 & #6. The other 4 do not flash.

My first thought was a bad cam sensor but a new one didn't help. Any ideas what I should do next?

P.S.
I spent 15 years working as a mechanic (ASE Master) so I do know my way around a car but I have been away from it for many years now. I bacilly have very little experience with anything newer than 1990.

Thanks in advance,
C.J.

cboggs2

Rookie
Recently the primary timing chain tensioner went bad on my wife's 2002 Sebring Convertible 2.7L and caused the chain to jump bending all 12 intake valves. So I pulled the heads, sent them to the machine shop. Now I have the car back together with 3 new chains, 3-tensioners & all guides. I also replaced the water pump because it is driven by the timing chain and the car has 127,000 miles on it.

Now the car won't start. I verified that the timing chains are all timed correctly and all of the ground wires are hooked up. It has 175 pounds compression and there is spark. I verified that I am getting fuel (55psi on rail) so I put a NOID light on all of the injector plugs and I am only getting an injector pulse on #1 & #6. The other 4 do not flash.

My first thought was a bad cam sensor but a new one didn't help. Any ideas what I should do next?

P.S.
I spent 15 years working as a mechanic (ASE Master) so I do know my way around a car but I have been away from it for many years now. I bacilly have very little experience with anything newer than 1990.

Thanks in advance,
C.J.
Problem solved - Parts store sold me the wrong parts (Tone wheel has different amount of slots) - I have SBEC system but they sold me a gear set for a NGC system.

Last edited: