Are Harley motorcycles better than BMW's? This is very general, but I

familyties87

figured there were some opinions.? In particular I'm curious about the maintenance required on both. Seems like maybe BMWs are sturdier in this regard.

bikermog

Ok, Its time to hear from the other side of this issue. Let me start off by saying that I do not have an axe to grind on ANY motorcycle brand. most of the horror stories concerning H.D. date from the 70's, when amf was running the company. Since the company was taken over by the Davidson family in the early 80's, the bikes have had excellent track records. Sure, you will have some bad product slip thru. That happens regardless of manufacture. The evolution motor that was first brought out in '84 has been a wonderful powerplant, commonly logging over 100,000miles without a breakdown. The current twin cam engines, both 88 and 96 c.i. are doing an amazing job. BMW's are fine bikes, as are most motorcycles produced these days, whether jap, euro, or american. Service entervals for the twin cam is 5000miles, and as far as styling goes, it should be considered that the most popular style of motorcycle being ridden on the streets of america are cruiser style bikes, of which almost every one of them copies the harley davidson to a more or less degree.
Now that I have had my rant, let it be known that I own 2 jap bikes, on running and one not. I have an '05 harley heritage softail with 20000 plus miles on it and the only problems i have had since it was bought new in '05 was a circuit breaker that went bad, (part made in mexico, by the way) and replacing the tires as they wear out, currently on third rear tire, and second front tire. (i replace mine BEFORE they get slick) The bike has made 1 ironbutt run (1000mi in 24 hr) and just got back from rally in corpus christi last month. 1025 mile round trip. the bikes starts every time and is totally reliable. it is my 3rd H. D.

bluff mike

The design of the BMW boxer engine produces less stress on the engine's parts than a V Twin. Also, the engine cools better with the jugs out in the wind. HD used to be nortorious for overheating rear cyl.