Buying a car - how do you bargain?

Brunette Cutie

I am trying to buy a new car, and Consumer Reports gave this advice that you have to bargain. I have no experience with buying cars, but I don't want to lose money. Consumer Reports article was saying how you have to start with the "dealer holdback" (CR wants you to PAY for getting that price from them) and then work your way up, not worrying about the dealer and the manufacturer price that the price tags are showing. I'm not sure what would be the best way to do this bargaining. How do I start? Is it worth it?

I am looking into purchasing Honda CRV or a Toyota RAV-4 and both are top vehicles, so I am hesitant to bargain because the dealer can just say "well, sorry I can't sell it to you for that price, good bye...." and then what am I going to do?

Please help!

Manny

One of the best things to do, which ive seen it done many times, is give the dealer your price and be ready to walk away. Always keep in mind that they want to sell the car. Dont go too low or theyll feel offended and they wont go down. Offer something reasonable and work on it. If they refuse, be ready to walk away and be sure to give the dealer something like your number and say that if he/she doesnt sell it to get back to you.

Huba

Rookie
Member of COSTCO? They'll give you a fairly decent price without the hassle. Bought our last Toyota using the Internet. Paid $99 over dealer invoice (use kbb.com to get that first)which I know is higher than their actual cost because they get a kickback from the maker but they have to make something; they aren't non-profits.

Be prepared to walk out. Don't get new car fever and settle for whatever they offer you. Also, most importantly, shop for financing before you go. Get pre-approved at a credit union for an amount and when you talk to the deal, tell him it's a cash deal. Some CU's will even give you a check "Valid up to $XX,XXX" and all you do is fill in the blanks.

I once bought a car for $11,000. I told the dealer that was how much I had. He showed me a model with a sticker of $12,700 so I said I would take it. Then he tried to add tax, license, other fees. I held firm - "No, I said $11K" and I got the car for that.

CrIsTiAn

I don't want to sound offensive but my older brother is a Sales Manager for a Ford Dealership in Houston TX. When purchasing a car negotiation is simple, all you have to do is figure out how much you are willing to pay a month for the vehicle. Use common sense, a 40K car WILL NEVER give you a $400 payment, unless your trying to pay for 10 years. ones you have the payment settled, go to the dealership, pick out a car, let them know how much you are willing to pay a month, and let them come back with a counter offer, if they cannot, or will not, give you the payment you want. Leave them your name and number and then walk away. If the problem is that the car is too expensive, pick something cheaper. When buying cash, tell them to give you a copy of the invoice, give them $100 above that cost, then subtract the rebates that are available, CONGRATULATIONS! you have now screwed the sales person out of A LOT of money, I hear my brother say it all the time. No lie, its how he makes a living.

clarke

Rookie
I am trying to buy a new car, and Consumer Reports gave this advice that you have to bargain. I have no experience with buying cars, but I don't want to lose money. Consumer Reports article was saying how you have to start with the "dealer holdback" (CR wants you to PAY for getting that price from them) and then work your way up, not worrying about the dealer and the manufacturer price that the price tags are showing. I'm not sure what would be the best way to do this bargaining. How do I start? Is it worth it?

I am looking into purchasing Honda CRV or a Toyota RAV-4 and both are top vehicles, so I am hesitant to bargain because the dealer can just say "well, sorry I can't sell it to you for that price, good bye...." and then what am I going to do?

Please help!
You know every year, thousands of great bargain opportunities appear and disappear all around without you even knowing it. There are so many bargains! In fact, the person next to you on the freeway could very well be driving a near new car that cost only $550 !

Every month, 1000s of cars become government property through seized and foreclosure laws. Since there are so many cars in these government auctions, and the enormous costs for storage, these cars must be sold fast and cheap! At Government seized car auctions you will be able to browse auctions NATIONWIDE. Government car auctions has a database full of thousands of different repo cars just waiting for you to bid on.

Karanat

Rookie
One of the best things to do, which ive seen it done many times, is give the dealer your price and be ready to walk away.