citroen xantia 1.9 diesel 1995 front brake pad replacement?

Sumel

i can not get the pistons on the front calipers to retract, to be able to replace the brake pads. is this anything to do with the hydraulic suspension system? as there does not appear to be a seperate master cylinder for the brakes, only the large hydraulic reservoir for the suspension! normally the pistons retract easily on other vehicles. i wonder if the hydraulics have to beset to low ride? can anybody help?

Andy

Rookie
on a xantia the handbrake operates the front brakes so the piston has to be turned(i think clockwise) until the brakepads just fit in,start car,pump footbrake and readjust the handbrake cable,fairly straightforward and no need to touch hydraulics

Andy

Rookie
on a xantia the handbrake operates the front brakes so the piston has to be turned(i think clockwise) until the brakepads just fit in,start car,pump footbrake and readjust the handbrake cable,fairly straightforward and no need to touch hydraulics

mdcbert

Rookie
Martin, you have NO clue!!

I had a DS21 and no the hydraulics did not have to be set low or anything...when the car is OFF it all bleeds down anyway.

My brake calipers were the easiest in the world to change, but the parking brake ones were seperate and really really hard to change.

So, I`m in the USA and we cannot get any Citroen cars here since 1972 and no Peugeot cars since 1994 SO

my best suggestion, is to NOT have the parking brake ON . The park brake is holding the calipers onto the discs.

idac123

the zantia uses the suspension fluid for the brakes so no reservoir to retract the pistons they have to be screwed in they will not push in good luck

Martin G

Rookie
First remove the brake fluid filler cap... Some callipers need the piston to be twisted as you try to push them back ( almost like they are on a thread ) try that I think you will find it solves the problem.

They are quite herd to push and twist but this is how you have to do it on the rear brakes on a Mondeo.

*** mdcbert ***

What the hell are you talking about ??? . I know exactly what I am talking about....

She said FRONT BRAKES NOT BACK BRAKES ...

So leaving the parking brake on will be OK...

Please do not answer a question and condem someone els when infact YOU do not have a clue about what YOU are saying.

Good luck

Martin G

Rookie
First remove the brake fluid filler cap... Some callipers need the piston to be twisted as you try to push them back ( almost like they are on a thread ) try that I think you will find it solves the problem.

They are quite herd to push and twist but this is how you have to do it on the rear brakes on a Mondeo.

*** mdcbert ***

What the hell are you talking about ??? . I know exactly what I am talking about....

She said FRONT BRAKES NOT BACK BRAKES ...

So leaving the parking brake on will be OK...

Please do not answer a question and condem someone els when infact YOU do not have a clue about what YOU are saying.

Good luck