Do musicians and politics mix?

patrick w

Musicians are normally musicians because they didn't stay in school, they are normally left leaning and suffer from a naivety that concludes that if we all 'loved one another' then there would be no war or conflict. They often fail to elaborate on their vague views, and if they occasionally find a good cause to stick to, it's normally by jumping on the bandwagon of an already existing idea. Do they influence the views of people of any value? Should they stop believing that their views are anything but irrelevant? (A good example of this is John Lennon's, 'imagine') Naive and almost offensive. What do you think?
Don't try and read the person behind the question. You could never even try.
I like your answer Brian.
I'm British and republican in the UK way.

hbofoates

Rookie
I think that musicians get involved in a lot of things they do not need to have a say in. However, it is their right to express their views. I don't think that all musicians are unintelligent and don't know what they are talking about, but I do think that many follow what seems to be popular and mainstream. They reach out to certain political parties and it becomes even more trendy - which is what happened with Obama. No one knew the politics of any of it, but the celebrities made it seem glamourous to be for young, new-age Obama. Politics should be politics. Leave everything else aside.

Robert742

Rookie
Not all musicians are left-leaning or uneducated. The guy in Bad Religion has a PHD in a scientific field. So does Brian May from Queen.

I grew up on early 1980s hardcore punk, and a lot of that is the opposite of "All you need is love" hippy-dippiness.

whether they mix or not it doesn't matter- people still listen to what they say. I think they have a responsibility to be neutral- who cares what they think- we just like their music

Joe11

Rookie
Musicians are normally musicians because they didn't stay in school, they are normally left leaning and suffer from a naivety that concludes that if we all 'loved one another' then there would be no war or conflict. They often fail to elaborate on their vague views, and if they occasionally find a good cause to stick to, it's normally by jumping on the bandwagon of an already existing idea. Do they influence the views of people of any value? Should they stop believing that their views are anything but irrelevant? (A good example of this is John Lennon's, 'imagine') Naive and almost offensive. What do you think?
Don't try and read the person behind the question. You could never even try.
I like your answer Brian.
I'm British and republican in the UK way.
musicians don't stay in school huh...if that isn't an ignorant stereotype then I don't know what is...

auto123

Rookie
I think that musicians get involved in a lot of things they do not need to have a say in. However, it is their right to express their views. I don't think that all musicians are unintelligent and don't know what they are talking about, but I do think that many follow what seems to be popular and mainstream. They reach out to certain political parties and it becomes even more trendy - which is what happened with Obama. No one knew the politics of any of it, but the celebrities made it seem glamourous to be for young, new-age Obama. Politics should be politics. Leave everything else aside.
Agree with you. You are right!

Anton22

I think they have the right to share their personall political views as any person can. What surprises me more is people reactions to musician and celebrities in general holding special merit in political discussion.
I don't have any objections however to musicians using political stuff to create art.