Does anyone know if the insurance on an XB12R Buell is cheaper than normal

Corey

sport bikes? I am considering buying a Buell. Do they cost less insurance wise than a GSXR or anything similar? I have a Harley Road King and the insurance is cheap on it. Doe they treat the Buell like a Harley or like a sport bike?

mushki

Rookie
Since it is not an actual sportbike (does not have the performance numbers-look them up if you do not believe me, try motorcyclist.com) and is not full fairinged it will have a cheaper rate but will still be higher than the rate for your Road King.

patrickh

no.

but years ago buells used to be listed as harley davidsons in MA insurance premium calculators and then they were cheaper. unfortunately they caught on.

taffscott1

Normal sport bikes? Your insurance rate depends upon a number of factors. Age, experience, miles to be placed on the bike, driving record, where you live and increasingly, your credit history and yes, the type of bike to be insured.

Gump

Because insurance companies also look at full fairing bikes and non-fairing bikes it would be cheaper if compared to the same cc'd bike with farings. If you were to get the FZ1 or R1 (same cc's just one has full fairings) the insurance would be a higher on the R1. This is just one aspect that would makes the insurance higher.

Fizz400

I pay a very reasonable rate on my XB9R but thats a few cc's smaller.

Mushki: if a Buell isn't a real sportbike and doesn't "perform" like you say, I'd like to see you follow me around a race track on mine and see if you can keep up. They perform better than you realize.

F

forktail_devil

an agent can quickly look up what kind of bike this is, and typically, sport bikes wind up gettin hit with high rates. especially the liter bikes 1000cc's and up.
it doesnt matter who makes the bike.....a sport bike is a sport bike. the insurance industry has been paying attention to sport bikes on not just the risk of theft (thieves love sport bikes), but also loss rates. sport bikes are notorious for getting totalled.