How to Clean your MAF

BSGCORP

Rookie
I noticed a bunch of people with problems that may be connected to a MAF malfunction this is the guide i used to clean mine when the dealer said i needed a new one 2 months latter car is running great with no more SES light :)
How to: Clean your MAF
approx time to completion: 20 min.

1. get a bottle of MAF cleaner. I found it @ autozone. Note: the white lettering inset in the red splat says 4-10 hp to the wheels. I so laughed at this, until I was done...

2. unplug your MAF, give this about 3-4 mins just to be safe to remove any remaining electricty.
3. Take out your MAF, It'll be a breeze if you have any iota of mechanical ability. Dave had his out in 2 min, me in about 3 ( damn TBS, cramping my space!)

4. I find this part debatable. The can says take your MAF out of it's housing....sorry, I'm cleaning it and I'm not taking any chances. Instead we grabbed a towel and just layed the housings on it to catch any drips.

5. Blast 10-15 sprays on the MAF itself. DO NOT LET THE SPRAY STRAW TOUCH THE MAF!!! make sure to get good coverage as this stuff really eats crap off the MAF safely. After you soaked it down slightly, rotate is to let any excess come out of the unit.

6.Let sit for 5-10 min.

7. Reinstall and plug MAF back in.

8. Take the car for a spin and post your comments to this thread!.

Hope it helps!

later!

BSGCORP

Rookie
Re: How to: Clean your MAF

sorry guys forgot to mention this is for a 2002- 2006 nissan ser 2.5L the QR25DE engine

lisaroy1

Rookie
- remove the MAF from the car
- spray some electrical contact cleaner or non-chlorinated brake cleaner (something that leaves NO residue) through the sampling tube over the wires.

The MAF should be clean inside. If not, you have a leak that is letting air in that isn't being filtered. The wires may or may not look slightly off color. They can become oxidized over time, which can affect readings. Excess oil from a K&N or other open element filter that has been over-oiled can foul the wires, as well.

- reinstall MAF