I have a 1979 BMW R65. the lights on dash are dead and bike seems frozen, wont

megrimsrex

start wont even make a noise.JB the bike acts like theres no key in the ignition. i have done all the obvious stuff, killswitch, fuel , oil , key, sparks, battery, ect ect. the bike just froze up and then i pushed it a little and the lights came on and it started right up. then a few moments later it froze again while driving, lights turned off engine died and it has not worked since. please help all ye lovers of the old bikes.
what type of wire sever would cause this to happen ? the ignition switch ?

once the bike was running it turned off . could this possilby be from the batter dying ?

S

supafly_fresh

Either there's a critical connection somewhere that's broken, or less likely, you've got a short circuit somewhere. You've got to find it, and close it up.

Based on the symptoms (complete electrical failure while running), the most logical place to look first is for a loose battery terminal. If everythings all right and tight, I'd inspect the full wiring harness for any frayed wires, the electrics on these older bikes can get worn. But it's probably not a short because you can get the bike running again without changing any fuses.

Get the wiring diagram, and get ready to get frustrated.

I'm not familiar with the BMWs.
But it shouldn't matter.
You have a loose connection somewhere.
Most likely place is in the headlight bucket.