i have a 97' isuzu rodeo, and i dont know if my transmission is shot?

Rebecca

Rookie
I have a 1997 isuzu rodeo (4 WD). I had it for a few months now, and I didn’t buy it for much (it was a very cheap car, but it’s my first car, so I expected it to be a little crappy).
When I start the car and as I drive the car, it is always very loud. It goes ‘vrooooom’, and it makes this chika-chika-chika-chika-chika sound at the same time. I think the gears are fine, however sometimes, despite being on a flat surface or a hill, when I go forward, even if I apply a little or lot of gas just to go, it jerks forward and backwards. When I do switch gears, it usually goes forward or reverse right away, so I guess that’s not a big problem. I do think I have a leak though, because when I park it on the street, there are little stains. I am concerned because it might be the oil, and I hope its that rather than it being the gas, which I highly doubt. And the ‘check engine’ light is always on. I brought it in for new tires, and while it was there, the guy said that the fluids were fine, but I think he may be wrong. I just want to know what has to be done, because I don’t think I need a brand new transmission. I just want to know what needs to be done, and how much that would cost. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.