I have an automatic 97' isuzu rodeo, and im unsure if i need a new

Rebecca

Rookie
transmission or just some rebuilt parts When i start the car, drive it, and accelerate, there is a very loud "vroooooom" noise, and there is also a 'chika-chika-chika-chika' sound. I brought car over to shop for new tires, and i asked him if the fluids were ok, he said they're fine. i dont know if he's right though, because before i got that checked out, there were oil stains on the street from the back of my car. And the 'check engine' light is on most of time. sometimes it remains constant and sometimes when i jerk the car, or accelerate too fast, the light blinks. When in drive, it has a harsh forward , and the reverse is sort of harsh, but not as bad as when its in drive. And rarely this will happen, sometimes my car will go out of gear. it only happened like 3 times. i'll be driving, and the car will slow down, and it wont be in drive.I really hope this car doesnt need too much done on the transmission because im short on money...my question is what would have to be done, and the estimated cost of repairs. thanks

jack w

Rookie
Look's like you have a number of different situations. Lets start with the check engine light - That means that your engine will have thrown a "code" and most likely that code will be for an oxygen sensor. As for the sounds - first check and see if you are getting any vacuum leaks from the air filter to the intake manifold - if those are loose or cracked you are getting too much air into the system. Then check the transmission fluid yourself. warm up the engine - then while your foot is on the brake move the shifter in reverse - then slowly back to drive then put into park - pull the transmission stick out and see if the level is correct (Second notch or dot) then check the condition of the transmission fluid - if it is a bright pink it is ok - if it is brown and/or has a "burnt" smell to it - the transmission fluid and filter needs to be changed. do all that then go from there. good luck