I ran over a chunk of wood in my 06 Volkswagen Beetle?!!! HELP!!?

brittmyd

Last night I was driving and ran over a block of wood that was in the middle of the street. I took it to a shop and they looked at it, drove it, and told me it was the "belly pan" thats underneath the car under the engine. So when my car is idle, or going in slow speeds you can feel a slight vibration in the pedal. When driving faster, my car sounds/acts normal. when looking underneath the car from the front, you can clearly see the left side is pushed up more then the right. So they told me I would definitely need a new "belly pan" and that was it. So I drove it 30 minutes to the Volkswagen dealer, they looked at it, but did not drive it, and gave me a WHOLE LIST of things wrong with my car. with a grand total of $900. Here is what the dealer says that I need replaced:
Trans Pan: $180.27
Filter: $78.07
Fulid: $25.01 ea. x3
Skid Plate: $285.60
Gasket: $67.98
Pipe: $16.13
Washer: $2.52
Plug: $1.58
So any mechanics or anyone that knows anything about what I'm talking about, feel free to answer. I'd like to hear what you think, or what you think I should do!
Thank you in advance.

inmytree

That must have been a big chunk of wood!! I strongly recommend a third opinion, perhaps an independent VW Shop.

Let me ask you this, are you having a problem with the car or are you just being safe and having it checked out?

You mention a slight vibration. Did that start after the wood incident?

And what did the first shop tell you other that you have a dented belly pan?

I really think the dealer is trying to screw you...