My 97 Volkswagen Transporter has an intermittent stopping problem - any suggestions??

stanfn29

My 97 VW Transporter intermittently stops. This usually occurs within the first 15 minutes of running, but not always. It goes through periods of a couple of thousand kms where it's fine. Other times it will stop several times over 20 kms. The more regularly it's driven, the worse the problem seems to become. The engine just cuts out and the oil light starts flashing although the oil level is fine. If it's still moving/rolling, I can often flick the key back one click and on again, and the engine will jump back to life. If I come to a complete stop and try to restart, it will usually take around 5 minutes before it will start. When it has restarted, it will often have trouble changing gears (auto) for the next 15 minutes. Some times it has been stuck in first and unable to change up. I've had this checked out 3 times by 2 different VW dealers who haven't been able to find anything wrong. Any help or suggestions as to what might be wrong are GREATLY appreciated!

duce

Rookie
If the experts can't find it then you might have some serious issues, maybe some internal engine problems