My Citroen Xsara 1.4 LX 2003 model does not start.?

Aashi K

I have a 2003 model citroen xsara 1.4 LX.It was running very well.Untill one night I parked the car after usual driving of about 50 miles.The next morning my car did not start and has not done so since.The engine turns but does not start.The battery and starter motor is fine and the car has sufficient fuel in the tank.One week before breaking down I put in 20 pound worth of petrol in this car but the petrol needle stayed on empty.The few days later I put in a further 20 pounds of petrol and the needle went to half tank and then next morning car did not start.Local mechanics have checked this car but they could not find the fauld.Please can somebody point me in the right direction.
Thank You

Miss Ayesha

Mickp

This will sound totally crazy but try it out.
take off the petrol cap and wait about 5 mins. Then try to start the car.
Some cars have a breather petrol cap and /or a breather pipe where the fuel goes in. I hired a car ages ago and after filling up i drove off shopping. when i got back the car would not start. The same symptoms as you describe and i thought what the hell is going on here. I called the AA and this guy came and after checking a few things he took the petrol cap off , waited a few minutes and the car started. Someone had put the wrong fuel cap on the car.
With the wrong cap it causes a vacuum in the tank and the fuel pump can't draw the fuel out of it.

Has your car had a service recently? The mechanics could have got the fuel caps mixed up. If it is not the cap it could be the filler pipe itself.

Try it out.