Power/Starting problems with '00 Volkswagen Polo Saloon?

Jimmy Conway

My 00 VW Polo Saloon 1.4L Petrol is having problems starting when the engine is warm. It starts ok usually when cold but if i have been driving it and then go to restart it often takes 4-5 attempts to turn it over.

Also another problem has developed recently: when i have been driving for a few mins the engine losses power the RPM drop. Gearing down or opening the throttle has no effect! Clutching can cause the engine to stall. This lasts about 30sec to 1min. then it is fine again and the revs come back up and i can drive fine.

any suggestions of whats going on.

(It seems like it could be pressure bleed/vapour lock or EM problem/bad temp. sensor maybe....)

cable guy

Rookie
Could be an Ecu problem.I think you need to book it in for an egine diagnostic check in your local engine tunning garage.

john i

Rookie
Best to get a VW garage to run diagnostic test, hwoever we have exact same car exact same year and it lost power, top speed 60 mph!! we found that the cat converter baffles had collapsed and it was being strangled. VW want £450 for a new one so I went round to Europarts bought one with down pipe etc for £119 !!! Took it to the VW garage and got them to fit it, they were not that happy! However it works fine and car now good. The other thing it could be which we had go on a Ford Fiesta is the gas flow air sensor (or something like that which was again found through diagnostic check. Once replaced the car was fine. Good Luck