Starter or Timing Chain Problem 1998 Isuzu Amigo 3.2 V6?

Anna

Rookie
The other day I went to start my amigo and encountered this problem:

1. Turned the key and the car made the "rrrrrr" starting sound without firing the engine for too long. There was a split second pause, the engine caught and I could hear a really weird crunching sound coming from under the hood. Almost like a timing chain breaking. The engine started but sounded extremely weak and mistimed. I instantly cut the engine off thinking that it may have jumped the timing chain.

2. About 2 minutes later after conversing with some car people, I attempted to start the engine and got a higher pitched "rrrr" sound that didn't even try to catch the engine. Pretty much sounded like a broken starter.

Haven't had any/much starting issues in the past, an very occasional missed start. Engine has thrown EGR valve codes in the past, but has quit. Gas mileage isn't that great anymore, fuel filter?

We're broke right now and plan to remove the starter for testing. Any tips? Advice?

Y

yes_its_me

Sounds like a broken flex plate (flywheel). Remove the starter and rotate the engine by hand and inspect the teeth on the flexplate.

inkncraig

Rookie
Starters go through a lot of wear and tear.. Take the starter out and have it tested.. I bet that is your problem. If not check the flywheel/pressure plate.. Always start simple.. It is highly unlikely that your timing chain jumped..
Good Luck