1999 GMC Jimmy Don't Get Warm Heat At Best It's Luke (possibly bad thermostat?)?

momof3

I have a 1999 GMC Jimmy 4x4 with around 87k on it. This is the first time I've had the vehicle with a really cold winter bought it towards the end of Feb this year. Now when I turn on the heat I get nothing if just a luke warm and if I push the heat past the number 2 setting on the fan it blows out cold. I'm thinking it's a bad thermostat as I do not see any coolant leaking outta dashboard and my vehicle is not over heating it won't get past like 150 or so. Anyone else agree that it's a stuck thermostat?

Thanks in advance,

David

T

truck_guy_2006

First check your coolant level. If that is good, either your thermostat is stuck open, or you have a problem with the heater controls. Have someone turn it to hot and cold repeatedly with the key on engine off. Stand on the passenger side where the heater core is. There is a valve that controls the amount of hot coolant flow into your heater core. If nothing happens there, then you need to check if the valve is bad, or if you have a bad circuit or switch in the dash. To check the thermostat there are two ways. 1 take it out, hang it by a wire and submerge it in hot water. If operational you will see it open up. 2 start up the engine, grab the upper radiator hose and squeeze it periodically as the truck warms up to operating temp. the thermostat shuold pop open and releive the pressure in the hose, (please be careful, it will be hot). If the hose never builds up pressure from the time of starting it when the engine is cold to it's operating temp. your thermostat is bad. If you haven't a clue, take it to a reputable shop, but dont let them sell you everything under the sun. And one more thing i forgot to mention is the possiblity of a plugged heater core.

Iknowthisone

Yes it is probably a bad thermostat. Its very common these days across most car lines for the thermostat to go bad and not make enough heat. Have the thermostat replaced and while you or the shop is doing that drain and flush the cooling system. Anti-freeze never loses it's freeze protection but the corrosion inhibiting additives break down so it should be replaced.