1999 Harley Davidson Sportster with trans leak?

Jay W

Why Is My 1999 Sportster Leaking From The Transmission Breather Tube, Any Reasons Why
Engine Has New Rocker Gaskets And New Se Stage 1 Air Cleaner Assy...?

Ryde on

On occasion I've seen Sportys develop a crank shaft seal leak behind the compensating sprocket and rotor.
This causes leaking motor oil to over fill the trans and primary.
You can try watching your motor oil level to see if it drops or you can dye your motor oil and see if the colored oil makes its way into the trans and primary.

JetDoc

Rookie
If it's leaking out of the breather tube, it's possible that it's overserviced. Try draining the oil and refilling with the proper amount.

Gary M

it may as stated be overfull, or even a small amount of moisture will cause the fluid to expand dramtically when warm, and whipped by the gears. Cover both bases, get the correct oil, and change it, measure in the right amount.
I dont know why its got top end gaskets done, its a 10 yr old bike, it may have broke down before, or maybe its got adjustable lifters, i thought later HD was all hydraulic, maybe not the sporty. People think changing the air filter assy with a fanch chrome one adds power, the fact is the original unit as well as the exhaust was the result of tens of thousands of hours of testing for 80 yrs, and then some small shop builds a shiny unit, claims more power, and they sell like candy, when in fact they sometimes rob power.