Auto Insurance point assigned unfairly.?

Cla L

After reviewing my Auto Insurance for the past year (it's time to renew) I noticed that my premiums had increased from one 6 month period to the next. After calling the company I was told that I had been assigned a point for what they are calling an accident. The so called accident they are referring to is about 8 months ago I had a tire blow out (days after I got them) from either something on the road or from clipping a curb. Since I had just bought my tires I was a little upset so I called my insurance company to see if flat tires were covered under my policy. They answered my inquiry by reminding me that I had a $500 deductible and so I eagerly made the decision to just replace the tire myself and don'thing to file a claim. The company (GEICO btw) then decided that this counts as an accident and gave me a point on my insurance (for three years) and thus increased my rates. Does someone know if this is leagal and what I can do to dispute and rectify this sitution?

Wolf Harper

Or change insurance companies (or call GEICO and threaten to.) If it's not in the state computer as an accident, the new insurance company will never know.

You realize, of course, that insurance companies will refund you the unused portion of your policy if you cancel early. You end up only paying by the day. Of course you have to wait a few weeks for the refund check to arrive.

Maricel S

I don't understand why they would count this as a claim since they did not pay any money out to you. I suggest you contact the
State Insurance Department or Division of Insurance in your state to file a complaint with them.

Fred C

Rookie
Anytime you call your agent and mention the word "claim" or "accident", they note your file, and it doesn't matter if you proceed with the claim or not, they are likely to assess a point. If you had just asked if there was coverage for a flat tire, it couldn't have been noted, as an accident, but if you mentioned you hit something, then accident it is. You can appeal it, but you have an uphill climb ahead of you.

Unfortunately, it is quite legal.

chankya

You have to talk with the local authorities of the company, because as you does not file any claim so they ca't just increase te interest for six months. Just go to the authorities and demand the things for you.

-Ice-

I guess you should complain with what happen. But as you have said, you hit something, In the first place, you should've claim it in your insurance.