bought a car from motor auction on thursday 22nd november?

lesley h

it had tax until end of november and the mot runs out 5 december my daughter had passed her test that morning and wanted a cheap run around . we insured it that day and she drove it friday saturday sunday today the dvla have put clamp on it and told us we have to pay £160 for clamp to be removed and retax it it turns out the previous owner payed for the tax with a dodgy cheque and has been running the car for 10 months with this unpayed tax disc the car was only £220 + £68 buyers premium we have only been the legal owners since 7 oclock thursday i know this was a cheap car but i do not see why i should be held for the other 10 months as i did not own it then the dvla are saying i have no choice that if i dont pay the £160 to get the clamp removed it will go up by £80 a day plus we have retaxed the car £62.00 had to back date to 1st november so we have lost a month and av 2 tax discs now we did intend to tax the car at end of month anyway who is at fault ?? were do we stand ??

fordman

Rookie
You should have some recourse against the auction and the previous owner. However, you have possission of the car now and you want to use it. So the only answer is to pay the taxes and get it on the road, then you can fight it out in court. Unless you can get some satisfaction from the auction company, I doubt if you'll do good wasting money trying to sue the former owner. You may get a judgement, but if they don't have any money then you get nothing but the satisfaction of knowing that you were right. You will have to come up with the money for the lawyer to boot.

Bottom line, just pay the bill. I know it is not fair, but that is the reality of it. If you get anything back from fighting, then you are just that much ahead.

good luck.

jeanimus

Pay the clamp, get the car back. Put it off the road and SORN it. That way the car is ok and you arent out of pocket too much. Then argue with the dvla. They cant expect you to pay tax when the car wasnt yours. If you dont get the car back, they may crush it. I have known them to do that even with a car on HP.