Buying a Used Car tips

When buying a car, make sure that you consider dealers or stores that are credible. This is to protect you from scams. It will be better if you will buy a used car from a person whom you trust. Nevertheless, there are many reputable stores and car dealers wherein you can buy a used car that looks and performs as a brand new one.

The first thing that you have to check in the used car is the exterior of the car. Vehicle inspection should always start with this. Check the car if there are scratches, cracks, and dents. See if there are obvious previous paint work, chipped paint, and broken glasses of the windows. Also check the condition of the hood and the tires. While these problems can be easily remedied, it somehow reflects the way the car was used before and it can warn you that the interior might be worse.

AutoXpert

Administrator
Great tips! If you are interested we can let you write an article that will be posted on the main page.

gino77

Rookie
I bought mine from an official auction. Yes you have to be cautions with history and condition of the car, but in many cases it can be easy to find a decent vehicle for a more than reasonable cost.

I'm looking into buying a used car. Under $8,000.
Please suggest any car brands and names that are affordable to drive (and insure, if possible.) Car insurance is a fortune, especially being young. I already know "family cars" are slightly cheaper to insure.
Carmax in my state is a rip-off compared to other car dealers I've seen. I will have to finance, I do not have $8,000 cash so I can't buy privately (I doubt the seller wants loaned money..could be wrong but...)
Any tips and advice would be helpful.

When buying a car, make sure that you consider dealers or stores that are credible. This is to protect you from scams. It will be better if you will buy a used car from a person whom you trust. Nevertheless, there are many reputable stores and car dealers wherein you can buy a used car that looks and performs as a brand new one.

The first thing that you have to check in the used car is the exterior of the car. Vehicle inspection should always start with this. Check the car if there are scratches, cracks, and dents. See if there are obvious previous paint work, chipped paint, and broken glasses of the windows. Also check the condition of the hood and the tires. While these problems can be easily remedied, it somehow reflects the way the car was used before and it can warn you that the interior might be worse.
You must have good credit history before applying for an auto car loan...you should also check the condition of the car when going to buy a used car...!

Hi...Friends:)
Thanks for sharing nice tips....Keep it up....

Do:

Get the big picture. Remember, the dealer and his reps are there to exact as large a profit as possible on each transaction--and years of experience have made them quite adept at doing exactly that. Maximizing your chances against this well-oiled selling machine requires thorough research on all aspects of the buying process followed by the formulation of a strategic action plan. Start by reading all the literature you can on the subject--from general resource materials to road tests of specific vehicles--and enlist the help of knowledgeable friends whenever possible. Forget about acquiring any new car or truck below cost. Under normal circumstances, your goal will be to limit dealer margin to 2-4 percent over the invoice figure. However, leveraging power is always subject to the basic law of supply and demand, so if your heart is set on a red-hot seller, be prepared to pay for that indulgence--to the tune of full sticker, and in some cases, even beyond.

Define what you want--and need--before commencing negotiations. Once you've decided on a vehicle category and come up with a short list of specific primary candidates that fit your budget, it's time to start visiting local dealers. Use these basic recon missions to check out the hardware with respect to things you'll love or hate in say, a year's time, like build quality, utility, ergonomics, and comfort, while you gather up product brochures for at-home perusal.

Research! Meaningful negotiations can only occur when you know what a dealer actually paid for the car or truck in question, not just the price on its window sticker. Basic invoice data on vehicles and options can be found in the Kelley Blue Book "New Car Price Manual" and Edmund's "New Car Prices," both of which are available in most bookstores or via the Internet.

Consider when to buy. The best buys are to be had during the middle days of any week, during the last week of the month, and especially late in a given model year. Also remember, special manufacturer-supported "selling events" and/or subsidized financing periods frequently provide shoppers with even better dealing opportunities.

Test drive. Although it might seem too obvious to mention, and regardless of how much information you've already gathered, nothing can take the place of first-hand wheel time. Elsewhere in this supplement, we've included an easy-to-follow procedure for this important first meeting.

Don't:

Forget that you are the ultimate deal maker or breaker. Refuse to be intimidated by high-pressure tactics or offers that will "only be good for the next hour." Remember that any time prior to signing on the dotted line, you're free to simply get up and leave. Here are the proper steps to staying in control of the situation: Step one is always to establish a formal purchase price. Next, reach an agreement on a fair value for any vehicle you'll be offering as a trade-in (when applicable). Finally, address the subject of how the transaction will be financed. Blur these items together, and you'll lose track of the deal.

Pay for things you don't want. Without a doubt, the highest profit margins on any new vehicle are found on "dealer-installed" options. Prime on the list of things you categorically don't need are any type of rustproofing/undercoating, paint sealers, and/or fabric protectors, but special trim packages, telephones, and non-factory audio upgrades also can add more cost than value to the mix. The same relationship generally holds true for extended warranty coverages. On a related topic, always say no to any pitches for dealer-supplied credit life or disability insurance. Finally, aggressively challenge all supplemental sticker charges like ADM (additional dealer markup) and non-specific "prep fees" for the blatant ripoffs they are.

Sign anything until you've read and understood the deal. Carefully go over every portion of a contract prior to putting your signature on it. Demand a plain English explanation of any elements you find confusing or misleading. If the salesman balks, take a walk.

Buying a Used Car tips :

Thanks for informing about these tips.This point was good that make this sure that the dealer is a credible and trust able person.

I say purchase the car in Cali. Reason? You dont want to deal with out of state inspections etc. It also depends on the car you are purchasing since some older cars were not eligible to be registered in california due to the emissions standard.

Ellarich07

When you hire a car, you need a thorough inspection of all its details. This will help you not to waste your money.

I never suggested you to buy used car because there are a lots of problem in used car. But if you want to buy make sure that the dealer is a credible and trust able person. I think elitejones share a very much tips that could be beneficial for you.

GregCOT

There are so many factors to consider when you are purchasing a used car, either from a private seller or from a trusted business.

Things to check are:
  • Exterior Checks
  • Under the bonnet
  • Interior Checks

It is highly important to check things through thoroughly, take a friend with you who can assist in going through the important factors. Tick them and if there is an issue, get them to fix, get the price cheaper or alternatively it might be best not to purchase the vehicle.

• Are they tyres okay?
  • What is the mileage?
  • Does The electrics work?
  • Are there any issues when turning on the car? - Mine actually had an engine issue!

It is a really good debate to have!