Can I change my transmission fluid in my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

MauriceChavez

I'm fairly handy and perform all of the basic maintenance like oil changes and tire rotations. I'm not afraid to get under there as long as I don't have to remove to many parts to gain access to the drain for this fluid. Is this a reasonably easy task? Will I be able to get rid of the old fluid with my old oil? Will the autoparts place take it?

Thanks.

drag1line

Rookie
Yes, it is easy, but get a large drain pan as the transmission pan has no drain plug,,but you can add one from B&M. Unbolt the pan except ONE bolt and tap it to loosen..Do not get under it or you will be drowned. Make sure you have the kit from the auto parts store with the new filter. One bolt and it comes off. If cork gasket, do NOT put silicon sealer on it or it will dissolve over time. Tighten just SNUG. If you over tighten you will crush the gasket. One or two days later, retighten the bolts.
Yes, your auto parts store will take the used oil back. Pep Boy, Auto Zone, ORiellies and more.
This is realtivley easy and the MOST important thing you can do to lengthen the life of your automatic transmission.
Good Luck