Do you have to get an alignment after changing front coils on an 85 Buick Lesabre?

Daggermonkey

I am going to replace my coils (front and rear) as well as shocks on my 1985 Buick Lesabre Collector's Edition. Do I have to take the car in for an alignment when I am done? The replacement process involves removing the front stabilizer and loosening the control arms to slip the front coils out. Also, one sales rep during a quote mentioned a rear alignment (for what reason I do not understand). The only thing holding up the rear end are the shocks, coils push down and keep tension. Nothing else makes contact except the driveshaft. If anyone has knowledge or experience, please post and list your experience/how you know the answer. Thanks.

note - they are 4 way shocks, not struts. Front shocks mount seperately in the coils but are NOT struts.

Mr. T

Rookie
It's a good idea to have the front end checked. The camber [vertical axis] may have changed slightly.

»»»

It's a good idea to have it put up on a front-end rack and at least have the alignment CHECKED. The technician will compare your vehicle's alignment to its factory specs, and determine if alignment is needed. Rear-wheel alignment is to ensure proper tracking of the rear wheels-they'll need to be adjusted if the fronts are adjusted very much, or require shimming.

Good Luck!

It's a good idea to have it put up on a front-end rack and at least have the alignment CHECKED. The technician will compare your vehicle's alignment to its factory specs, and determine if alignment is needed. Rear-wheel alignment is to ensure proper tracking of the rear wheels-they'll need to be adjusted if the fronts are adjusted very much, or require shimming.

Good Luck!

Good Luck!