Driving Without Auto Insurance: Is it Legal?

-Ice-

Driving Without Auto Insurance: Is it Legal?

Auto insurance premiums could be an unlikable expense, thus leaving many drivers to doubt whether or not they really need an auto insurance at all. In majority of cases, the answer is a definite yes. Just because you are categorized as a "safe driver" does not mean you can get away without auto insurance. Definitely, there are so many things that can happen everytime you hit the road which drivers can never anticipate. Not only that driving without is illegal, this is also dangerous.

Read More...

I had one prospect (a younger girl) who let her insurance with another agency lapse. Her rate immediately went up. Carriers just don't like folks letting their insurance lapse.

The other issue is you could get a suspended license or need an SR22, both of which can cause you to pay higher insurance premiums.

maxjlone

I'm guessing most people driving around with no insurance are already lifelong losers anyways, so the threat of lawsuit or a $5000 minimum fine (that will probably never be paid) are probably not much deterrence to them. Anyone who has insurance also has coverage against accidents with uninsured people, so the only ones who really lose out are the insurance companies who then have to sue someone who could likely never pay anyways.

I let my auto insurance lapse 1 month, because I didn't have the money for my premium. I just want to know if there is light at the end of this tunnel. I know it was very irresponsible of me, but I am the only income for my wife and 3 kids under 6yrs old. I'm just looking for some hope.

It is illegal in 48 states to drive on public roads without insurance, but if you are a good driver in a rural area you will lose a heck of a lot of money buy buying insurance and not getting in a wreck. What is the solution here??

Even if you have insurance (say states 10,000$ minimum for property damage), and you wreck someone's 30,000$ car, you still have to come up with 20,000$ out of your own pocket, so these insurance laws do not solve the problem and there have been 3 studies showing poor people have to go without food due to auto insurance, and have to go on food stamps due to mandatory auto insurance law.

There are some states in US, where you cant drive a vehicle without a auto insurance, if we don't have an insurance then we should stay at home.

Robert742

Rookie
The most dangerous drivers on the road do not have insurance -- criminals, habitual drunk drivers, people driving with suspended licenses, dangerous drivers with multiple accidents/violations who can't afford car insurance.

Whether the law requires it or not, it is wise to always have auto insurance with high liability coverage and uninsured motorist coverage to protect yourself from lawsuits and irresponsible people not having insurance.

cemroon

Rookie
The most dangerous drivers on the road do not have insurance -- criminals, habitual drunk drivers, people driving with suspended licenses, dangerous drivers with multiple accidents/violations who can't afford car insurance.

Whether the law requires it or not, it is wise to always have auto insurance with high liability coverage and uninsured motorist coverage to protect yourself from lawsuits and irresponsible people not having insurance.
Yes i am agree with you Robert that It is necessary while any one driving on road. it can help while any bad happen come.

not only is it not legal, but unless you're rich or plan to run from the scene of the accident, it's just not a great idea to go without insurance