Hi. My car ( 1994 geo prism - a standard transmission) does not go into any

Chetan N

gear, neither first or reverse.? I have to press on accelerator so that the car can start (starts with a jerk however). prior to this situation, changing gears was a bit hard - especially 1st and reverse. seems to me that the clutch needs to be changed. Its a 1994 geo prism. any ideas about the problem and the cost to have the car repaired?

stick

Rookie
I would try bleeding the hydraulic clutch it may be low on fluid or have air in the lines. Not allowing the clutch to fully disengage. It should be near the master cylinder for the brakes and it most likely uses the same fluid. It will be a small round tank that holds lass than a pint of fluid so dont over look it. Its similar to bleeding the brakes to remove air from the system. It would be a good place to start before buying parts. A garage could bleed the system fairly cheap. Then you could go from there. I had a Toyota Camry 5speed do the same thing only cost me the price of the brake fluid and about 30min of my time. A Haynes Manuel for your car would show you the procedure for your car its very simple. You can get one from you local auto parts store. Good luck!

stick

Rookie
I would try bleeding the hydraulic clutch it may be low on fluid or have air in the lines. Not allowing the clutch to fully disengage. It should be near the master cylinder for the brakes and it most likely uses the same fluid. It will be a small round tank that holds lass than a pint of fluid so dont over look it. Its similar to bleeding the brakes to remove air from the system. It would be a good place to start before buying parts. A garage could bleed the system fairly cheap. Then you could go from there. I had a Toyota Camry 5speed do the same thing only cost me the price of the brake fluid and about 30min of my time. A Haynes Manuel for your car would show you the procedure for your car its very simple. You can get one from you local auto parts store. Good luck!