How bad do pre-2004 Harley Davidson Sportsters vibrate?

Pat S

I'm new to motorcycling, I currently ride an entry-level Honda and am looking to move up in size next year, probably in the fall to take advantage of the end-of-year prices. I'd really like to get a Harley, but I'm not someone having a mid-life crisis, I'm just a 19 year old kid who's been pretty good about saving money for toys.
Sportsters seem to be right up my alley, I don't need to go screaming fast in a straight line because I don't do much highway driving, but I live in an area with a lot of rural backroads, very twisty and winding, so the Sporty's agility is appealing.
I've never been on a pre-04 Sportster, and I've heard mixed reviews about the vibration. Some people (the magazines) say it is absolutely unbearable, while others seem to think it doesn't make itself evident until over 3000 RPM in 5th, which is a point around 70 mph (a problem not going on the highway would solve). There are even some people who think the new vibration-free models are soulless. Any opinions?

rhand182

Rookie
Ok I'm not going to get to deep into this but the sportster is NOT an agile bike at 550+ pounds and is NOT good for carving up twisty and winding roads with it's horrible 32 degree maximum lean angle. And even though you don't want to go screaming fast consider that the faster 1200R sportster has a worse 1/4 mile time than a V-8 mustang GT (13.5 seconds) and a worse top speed than a basic V-6 mustang(115 MPH) so not only will you not only be going screaming fast but you won't be going fast at all.

Owned several sporty's over the years (riding 36 yrs) and don't listen to people, I rode a 71 all over europe in the service, way pre 2004, ride one for a day and make up your own mind, in a couple years bet you'll be trading up to a softail.

John

Rookie
I rode a 25th Anniversery model Sportster for 3 years, once cross country. Vibration is not a major problem. However, if most of your riding is on rural backroads, you might be happier with something along the lines of a Triumph Tiger, Suzuki SV650, BMW 1150GS or KTM's 990 Adventure.

All are great bikes that are fun on street and in the outback. Although not true dirt bikes.