How good are you at picking out urban legends?

CrazyJ

Over this last week I've picked out three urban legends out of stuff that was told to me or that I read, I didn't know for certain that they were urban legends, but I was skeptical enough to do more research which confirmed that they were all myths. (for the record, they were that we have pounds of meat in our colon, that highways have straight sections for airplane landing and that babies don't have kneecaps).

Anyway, I've noticed that I've gotten better at picking up these falsehoods as I've gotten older. Some urban legends I picked up as a teen took many years before I realized they were untrue. Of course it helps having easily accessible resource to check the factual nature of these claims such as the Internet.

Anyway, what about the rest of you? Can you effectively pick out the urban legend out of a larger set of information? And has this ability improved as you got older?

Brenda D

I'm not great at picking out what is real and what's fiction when it comes to urban legends. The whole point of an urban legend is to find something that seems plausible and say that it happened to someone you know or something like that. This is why I use snopes.com they have almost every urban legend you can think of and they can back it up if it's true.