How was Obama's speech shallow or disingenuous, as Shelby Steele referred to

Donegal

it in yesterday's NY Times? In the March 23rd NY Times, in an article about talking about race, Shelby Steele, a black intellectual and Hoover Institution fellow, called Obama's speech, "Shallow, beautifully delivered, and just disingenuous." Give your input on how you think this is true, or not. Steele also said that "racism no longer remotely accounts for the difficulties in black America" and that the lack of discourse about race is a product of political correctness,, "the language of white guilt." Asked what he thinks is needed to break this stalemate, Steele answered, "White bravery." Explain why you agree or disagree. If Steele is correct that racism no longer remotely accounts for the difficulties in black America, what DOES account for those difficulties? If "white bravery" is needed to talk about race, what does that mean to you, and are you ready to be brave? What type of black bravery may be needed as a companion to white bravery, to support and validate it?

L

Left_Avenger

"Disingenuous" is a five-dollar word for "lies". It was not. Shelby Steele is just jealous.

Michael G

His speech was nothing but, Hey, we all do it, Don't blame me, blame my white grandmother. and we need to talk about race, right after I go to church to be taught that everything is whiteys fault.