Hyundai Accent WARNING - unreliable power steering

pedjole

I've bought a new Accent 2012 few months ago and already had very unpleasant experience. After doing three parallel parkings in a row, power steering started going away. During fourth try, there was no power steering any more - my wife was not able to turn a steering wheel when car is still. BTW...we were practicing parallel parking for her driving test.

I called dealership to report the issue and schedule service visit. At the dealership I repeated the issue with their mechanic at passenger seat. After that, they gave me brand new accent from parking lot and did the same exercise again. Guess what - same happened as well. Dealer was happy to let me know that my car is "OK" and performs as designed. I tried to explain that this only proves that whole line of vehicles has been under-designed. Power steering is salable option and should not be conditional upon certain usage criteria. All they could was to give me service report and Hyundai customer relation phone number with advise to contact them.

I did just that, and after few phone calls and e-mails I was explained that my car perform "within the manufacturing specifications".

I missed to mention...power steering in new Accent is not hydraulic but electric. Apparently, electrical motor is undersized and overheats very quickly which triggers heat protection sensor and switches off the motor. Very poor design.

So...if you are buying a car be aware and if the car is to be driven by person who is not weight lifting or if you re intending to use it for driving school...do not buy accent.