I have a 1993 Oldsmobile Achieva. I had accident that caused damage to the...

covergirl48505

...hood, the left fender, and? the left head light assembly. The radiator needs to be replaced due to the impact of the accident. The car has about 181,000 miles on it. The rest of the body is in excellent shape, no damage. I originally paid 1,100 dollars for the car last year. Should I consider fixing these items or just sell the car? Or parting the car out? The car runs, I drove it home after the accident. Also, it ran very well before the accident. I allowed a collision mechanic to take a look at it for an estimate. Without even looking under the hood, he gave me a rough estimate of $2,500 dollars to fix it.

He kept asking me if the car ran?..What does that have to do with anything? Also he asked me how many miles were on the car? Is it worth fixing?

Ian F

Rookie
He was probably looking to tell you whether it was really worth fixing or not.

Assuming there's no frame damage (if the damage really IS limited to the bumper, fender, head light, and radiator) yeah, it is worthwhile to fix...YOURSELF. You don't need professional help to do this stuff, it should all bolt right on. Fix the radiator (duh) headlight ASAP (that's a safety issue) and start shopping around junkyards (your car should be well-represented) for new panels. You can do most of it by yourself, but you'll want a helper for replacing the hood (they're really awkward to put on or take off).

Oh, and you can replace the radiator yourself, too. It isn't hard (it's just messy, assuming the coolant hasn't all drained out already). You could literally do all of this in a day, with no experience and just basic hand tools. It'll cost you a few hundred bucks.

If you're getting an insurance settlement on this car, you could make out like a bandit, assuming you don't need everything painted to match.

Michael F

Rookie
replace the safety parts headlight turn signal and radiator you only paid 1100 for the car i say ride it till it dies unless you want it to loOK ok but hay a good winter car is a good winter car

Michael F

Rookie
replace the safety parts headlight turn signal and radiator you only paid 1100 for the car i say ride it till it dies unless you want it to loOK ok but hay a good winter car is a good winter car

Michael F

Rookie