I have a 2004 883 harley davidson it has 15000 miles on it and it

jhon r

backfires i bought it from a privateowner? it pops alot when i start it up i went to harley davidson and they said the jets had to be clean or the fuel . I dont know if its the timing belt but it shouldnt have that problem because it only has 15000 miles on it i hope the bike is alright does anyone know what could be the problem i would appreciate it

where did the owner live before he traded it in? Altitute makes a bunch of difference, get on line and find the tuning spec's for mikuni, but with my experience I would take the top of the carb off, there is a needle that goes straight down with a clip on top, there is 5 notches on the needle pull the clip off and place it in the notch just above, then pull the drain bolt out of the bottom of the carb and you will see a brass needle jet, take it out and there is numbers on it like 64 or 65 go to the shop and and get one lower and one bigger and try them out, run the hell out of it and hit the kill switch and pull the plugs and see what color they are, if you idle you screw up the color.