I have an imported Renault scenic 04 plate , The car was sourced in Cyprus. My...

daftronnie

...service book says timing belt? needs replaced at 36k or 4 years . Yet the uk service period is 72k or five years . Anyone know why the difference? AND THE BIGGIE , would i be ok to run to 72k ?

mike

Rookie
The only danger is if the vehicle is an interferance motor. If the motor is interfearance, the the valves will interfere with the path of the piston if the T-belt breaks. In the US some manufactures stipulate an earlier interval due to extreame hot and cold weather, but it is usually for temps below -40F and over 110F. I would make sure the motor is non interfearance if it is slap a belt only on it and at the 72K service change the water pump, and rollers with it. Newer cars in the us are going 80 - 105k miles, so both those numbers seen early to me. Also their is usually a 30% safety margin so you will be safe extending it to at least 45K I wold think.

shizzym

Have a guy who knows what he is doing check it out for you if your belt snaps you engine is fcked all the engine parts run out of time and shamsh into the others so I would not run it to72k, 50k yes but still get it checked

C

cymraes_y_cwm

I'd change it to be on the safe side. I left mine and it snapped. I had to pay to rebuild the engine. It was a lot more expensive!!!

Little Big Boy

if you have no paperwork to say the cam belt has been changed and when, then i would definately get it changed as if it does snap you might be looking at an engine rebuild.