I need really good advise wheather to buy this car. It's a 72 triumph TR6.?

Jeffrey B

I need honest advise about this car. I know my way around cars pretty well but I am afraid of something that has so many problems I will never drive it. The owner told me it needs frame work and a good tune up.I can handle body and frame but how problematic are the triumph engines? OK so its no honda but are these things basket cases? It won't be a daily driver but do these things ever make it out of the garage? Where are you british car guys???

an early 70's pommy "sports" car?
run, run like the wind away from it. it will leak when it rains, it will rust as the smell of wetness, it has lucas electrics (which are called the prince of darkness for a reason, it will never run well, it will cost you all your money, and eventually when you get it on the road, some lowlife will nick it as they are as secure as a wet paper bag.

forget it and look for something else with character

run, run like the wind away from it. it will leak when it rains, it will rust as the smell of wetness, it has lucas electrics (which are called the prince of darkness for a reason, it will never run well, it will cost you all your money, and eventually when you get it on the road, some lowlife will nick it as they are as secure as a wet paper bag.

bobe

Frame work? sounds suspicious. Does it have a salvaged title? Not good if this is the case. As far as a 1972 TR6 go it's an awesome year and car. I owned 2 of them years ago. The engines are solid. When they run great they're so much fun to drive. Even in the winter time I would put the top down, roll up the windows, crank up the heater and stereo and away I would go. The Stromberg carbs are very sensitive and usually require adjusting on a weekly basis. If out of tune the car will not purr like it should purr. You can learn how to adjust the carbs by ear. It only takes a few minutes. The car is tough on U-joints. Highly recommended car for fun factor.

demilspencer

If it needs frame work, that should sound an alarm bell mate!!
Get the most for your money...buy a good car and have a professional check it out if it is not a new one.

Gordon S

Rookie
This type of sports car requires a lot of tinkering, it would be a good car if you are a Triumph enthusiast, they are a blast to drive and a lot of fun, but English cars of this era are prone to a lot of nagging electrical problems that can be a pain to find and fix. This is a neat car and a lot of fun, but it will nickle and dime you to death.