Is it possible for a person with little mechanical car knowlege to replace a

David D

head gasket on a 1998 peugeot 106 my haines manual tells of how to do this task, but im not sure if it would be a bad idea me trying it as it is of good difficulty according to the haines ratings.

rubendon

YES just follow the step by step instruction in your repair manual. the beer and the fan club is incentive.

Will S

Rookie
I agree with the beer, serious if you haven't changed a head gasket I wouldn't suggest trying, start with changing your air filter and wiper blades first. Also when the head is off, take it to a machine shop to have it tested and at least planed.

fleshflayer

Although your little Pug is a relatively easy head gasket to change, I seriously WOULDN'T recommend you try....
One mistake, (incorrect valve timing, wrongly torqued head bolts, etc; etc;) WILL mean curtains for your engine, and it will cost you a great deal more to replace a knackered "head" than it will to replace a knackered "head gasket".
Not only that, but a garage will charge you far more to do the job if you 'phone them up and tell them "I've had a go at fixing my head gasket, and now my car doesn't start".
From a professionals point of view, there is not much worse than turning up to a "breakdown", and finding out that a "have a go Harry" has had a go at doing a job that he/she wasn't capable of, and left a pile of nuts/bolts/engine parts all over their garage floor, that the poor mechanic has to try and sort out.(It's happened to me more than once)
If, on the other hand, you don't give a shite about the car, or you have money, and time, to burn, have a go!
Just don't come crying to me if/when you f uck up.
(Sorry to be so blunt, but it really annoys me!)
No offence. : )

kegwa

Yes you can. As long as you have a little background on it. Just follow a simple steps on it. Google it away.