Lexus ES330 versus Audi A4?

il216

Rookie
I am about to buy a car: a 2004 to 2006 Lexus ES330 or Audi A4 sedan. The Lexus are only FWD, while the Audis are FWD or AWD. I'm really not much of a car person, so I'm not looking for top luxury, super fast, etc. I've just never had a really nice car, and these 2 seemed to fit the bill and have great safety records, no/few recalls, etc. Which is the better quality car? Reliable, few issues / repairs, less likely to be in the shop all the time, the better value? I'm not too worried about the price of repair parts either, because both Lexus and Audi are offering 3+ yr warranties, loaner cars during repairs, etc. I'm looking only at certified cars.

Jayme

Rookie
The Audi is a much more nice place to be. Personally i've driven around in A4 Quattro and the A4 bigger,faster brother, RS4. And you just feel much more secure in it with the Quattro AWD, is just so civilized, modern, crisp and clean much like Germany the place it came from.

The ES is always been abit of a pig too look at and if you pay enough attention is driven around by old woman. And the interior feels American and cheap. Probably cause they try to attract more American.

Look at it this way the Audi is like being in a departing lounge of a Swiss airport, very clean, very modern and civilized. The Lexus is like being in LAX...modern but not quite there yet.

If safety Concern you The Audi A4 receive 4 Stars Safety Rating by Euro NCap.
Now a car given 5 Star by American safety rating would reciveve no more then 3 Stars by Euro NCap testes
and the ES330 receive 4 Stars American safety rating.

Edit: Also if this comforts you Audi owns Lamborghini.

The guy below me got it wrong....Volkswagen Group owns Skoda,Bentley,SEAT,Bugatti and Audi...then Audi owns Lamborghini. Volkswagen have no say in Lamborghini part. That's how the new R8 is virtually a detuned Gallardo . Not a Golf...

Volkswagen Group does not own Porsche, Porsche own 45% of the Volkswagen Group.

noimage2000

Well, while Lexus is made by Toyota who makes great cars, it really is just a Toyota When you look at the ES specs compared to a Camry, there aren't too many differences. As for the German built Audi... The Germans always seem to make better "driving" cars. Look at BMW who claims to be the "Ultimate Driving Machine". Look at Mercedes which has been the top status symbol for years. I have drivin an A4 when I sold cars and loved it. The Germans build them right.

As for Audi owning Lamborghini, kind of..... Audi is owned by Volkswagen who owns Lamborghini AND Porshe.

lani

lexus are very well made cars and they are very reliable, but they are more expensive, i dont know much about audis but my friend has one and its been giving her problems occasionaly

When Toyota decided to compete with high end Euro Cars, they took their entry level cars and Lexurized the crap out of it with gadgets and slapping parts from other models. Like taking an Avalon and place a Celica engine, $25Gs more, make it look A-La-Benz or BMW and there you have it.

Audi, BMW, MB and even VW are pretty original on their design. I drove those cars before and they are a good experience to drive them. Some about the stile and the ride that can not be cloned.

On the other side of the Pond, seems to be liked by a group of people that likes to mod Japanese Imports. Care more about if my Toyota, or Nissan can make 1/2 sec faster than your Bimmer. That Koyi Toyo San says is the best car to drift. That comes with Blue Ray, Boom Box, Leather Seats and a Nav system that tells you how to find the toilet in your house with the best hours to watch Anime/Manga with Play Station, HDTV capabilities. And that makes it better than any other car on the road.

I am ready for some flame here, some people can not handle the truth. All you have to do is, take a good look at any of their entry level cars and look at their high end cars, a Headlight and a Tail Lights change does not makes it a better car.

If I have the money, I get the Audi, if I barely do and I want to have a wannabe clone Euro car, I look to the the other side of the Pond. Beside in any car, you should be able to maintain it. Some people barely are able to keep up with payment and maintenance. Therefore they end up like junk. Do not be one of those guys. Check your finances and see how much you can shed for a car in overall. That means, Payments, Maintenance, Insurance, Tax n Title and Fuel. That is the bottom line on what are you going to get so you can enjoy your ride. Perhaps, instead of a Lexsucks, look at a Camry or Avalon, is the same Toyota Quality, almost identical looks at a much affordable price. Gadgets? You can buy Garmin or a Tomtom later and keep it when you trade your car ;-)