my bf claims if he adds my name to his car insurance he will get it loads cheaper?

layla

is this true? i cant drive i ahvent knwon him long and his insurance is due for renewal which is over 500 quid so he says he can reduce that amount by 150 quid if he adss my name is this true and legal? i wondered why he asked for my date of birth and postcode says he just forgot

JOHNNY C

by adding g/f nothing changes,only could be highier,dippense on you driving record,could be lover if you wher his wife,and i dont even think so that insurance company could do that

john n

Be carefull.
Insurance premiums are cheaper for female drivers than male drivers, and accordingly a policy with a female primary assuree will cost less than a policy with a male primary assuree.
Adding someone to an insurance policy as a secondary assuree wouldn't reduce the price of the policy.
It sounds to me like he wants to insure his car in your name to save money.

Pedro S

if your bf doesn't know your dob...geeze...in 6 months you will be asking Q&A how to resolve the lawsuit and cancled insurance and ruined credit......run away!!!!!!!

Helper

Rookie
Since you are speaking of "quid" instead of $$, I don't know what your local practice is. But in general, when you put in name, you are taking some responsibility (in case of future accident / suits)

But given you have NOT known him that long, I would NOT intertwine your fairs with his. It is much harder to have yourself remove once you decide to go your own way.

Just tell him you have a rule not to do this kind of stuff until you've know the person for few years.

===

Of course if he makes a big deal of it, then maybe he is not kind of person you want to be your BF too long.

Good Luck.

Showtunes

Rookie
Your last sentence makes it sound like he was doing this before he asked you about it. Thats a bit creepy.

Grab his insurance card and give them a call. Insurance will be based on local law, so getting info here will just confuse and mislead you.

Around here since you cant drive you wouldnt be able to be added unless he married you, and it would only minimally lower the insurance unless you had a long clean history and his was either short of had lots of crashes. That will likely be very different from your area, so please consult the insurance company if youre even considering saying yes.

Angela C

Rookie
No, No , No!!!!!! By adding your name it also makes you responsible for any accidents he is in. If someone sued him they would also sue you!!!! It would also affect your credit if he fell behind in his payments. This is not a good idea, think carefully before doing this.

Angela C

Rookie
No, No , No!!!!!! By adding your name it also makes you responsible for any accidents he is in. If someone sued him they would also sue you!!!! It would also affect your credit if he fell behind in his payments. This is not a good idea, think carefully before doing this.

Angela C

Rookie