painting atv plastic?

josh214

got a 1998 warrior and wanting to paint front black and back white plastics are gray right now..i know they have the fusion paint which is strickly for plastic but will it be able to stand to the bending and stuff that four wheelers take...is there any certain things i need to do or add for it not to crack???

hushcolours

Hi Josh,

On these things it's always important to refer to the paint's manufacturer technical sheets and to know WHAT KIND of plastic one is dealing with.
Do you intend to use spray, spraygun, airbrush ?
I know that Krylon has a great range of sprays, maybe they have something for your needs. Mind that it's REALLY advisable to use an ultrafine scotch-brite if the surface is too smooth and then to degrease it with a degreaser proper for plastics. Many failed works are due to a greased/dirt surface.
If you're using a paint that's already proper for plastics, usually you won't need a primer for them.
Now let's suppose that you're going to spraygun or airbrush with a regular acrylic paint.
After genty sanding with the scotch-brite (a kind of abrasive foam) and degreasing, apply the primer for plastics according to instructions (usually a crossed VERY thin coat).
Wait usually about 20 or 30 minutes (check instructions).Usually it's not advisable to wait longer since there must be a bond between the plastic primer and the paint. Now, lets suppose that your acrylic is a solvent based paint. You'll have to mix the hardener to the quantity your going to use and the thinner. Also ask for a flexibilizer additive that you'll mix with the paint. This will make the paint flaxible. Apply according to instructions.
Now, if your paint is basecoat i.e. with clearcoat on top, the flexibilizer (I guess one also calls plasticiser there ?) is mixed with the clearcoat (unless the instructions say the opposite). And of course that basecoat paints don't take hardener, as far as I'm aware.
Mind that this is based upon my experience, but it's very important that you follow the manufacturer's instructions since we're in different markets.
If you have any doubt don't hesitate to contact me.

A Merry Christmas,

José
http://sitekreator.com/hushcolours/media.html

maxjlone

I have a 89' Yamaha Blaster. I got it from a guy who custom painted it and its black and red. But all the paints chipping off so how do u prep. them so paint will stick good and what kind of paint should i use for a good stick on the plastic.