Please help! Garage just told me the root of my car problems is that it needs...

Louise R

...a new throttle pedal :-(? I've had ongoing problems since July and its been in two different garages. Last week my dealer charged me £213 to change the speed sensor, which was supposedly the problem. The day after I got it back, it broke down again. Now they say that the fault is the throttle pedal, and a new one will be £298 (inc VAT) plus fitting. I've paid over £1000 on car repairs this year and its not even 4 years old, and I want to cry. Please can anyone tell me where I can get a cheaper throttle pedal? I'm happy to order off the internet or whatever. I really need help!!
Forgot to say, Seat Arosa 1.0 S 2003 registration
Am I right in thinking that the throttle pedal is attached to potentiometers, which are the position sensors? Trying to do some research! ;-/

streetrodmaniac

I agree with fivetoze, it is probably the throttle position sensor as that would cause drivability problems (surging, hesitating etc) the pedal is only the means to move the cable. I would check around to make sure the shop is not gouging you once you do that you will have a good idea where to go with it to get it repaired. As for buying the part online or somewhere else... usually the shop will not install a part you bought somewhere else (and of course will not guarantee it anyway even if he did install it) A mechinic on the side could probably install it for you but of course you take your chances on him doing it right if you don't know him. I would suggest shopping around.

Lancslad

Ask them 'WHY does it need a new throttle pedal? This part of the car along with the brake and clutch pedals is usually what remains when the rest is a rusted hulk. The only part that wears on the pedaI is usually the rubber pad. These are easy to repalce and are not expensive, a fiver at most. I think they are trying it on. A four year old car should be as good as a new one in this day and age. If I had spent that much on my car at the same garage I would be very suspicious of them. The trade and industry inspectors might be interested.

spook542

Rookie
We had similar problems.

Ask to speak to the service manager and explain that they don't actually appear to have diagnosed the problem and are just changing parts in the hope that eventually they'll get the right one. They'll hit you with the old "we've done the work and fitted the part so you'll have to pay" argument. Counter that with "if you'd actually properly diagnosed the fault you wouldn't have had to do unnecessary work". Explain that you shouldn't be required to pay for their ineptitude.
Best time to do this is when the garage is quite busy as they'll be worried about other customers overhearing.
You'll need to be quite forceful but if you stand your ground you'll get the bill reduced. We managed to get ours donwn from an initial £2000 to £250.

fivetoze

Rookie
itll be the throttle position sensor which has gone,... the pedal isnt doing much bar pressing a cable or rod... its what its connected to.

a make and model would be easier, and you can probabl7y get the bits from any autobreaker...

and i suggest you find a better garage... and possibly a better car.

old class will always out do new bling... and they wont take the old bit back, its secondhand...

As for buying the part online or somewhere else... generally the shop will not establish a part you acquired somewhere additional (and of course will not assurance it anyhow even if he did establish it) A mechinic on the edge could likely establish it for you but of course you take your possibilities on him managing it right if you don't understand him. I would propose buying around.

Hello,
i bought an x reg fiat seicento 1 week ago, i have done 300 miles and cam belt gone, have been told by someone that its not to big a problem as the seicento sporting has a safe engine?