So, on the way to work this morning, I was stuck behind this Jaguar with...

...a WWJD bumper sticker....? ...and the license plate read "4JESUS". What's for Jesus? The Jag itself, or all the money spent on the Jag that could have been spent on, you know, feeding hungry children?
Even if that person had contributed several times the cost of the car in charities, jinenglish, the fact remains that the Jag is a rather expensive luxury. Until no one on this planet is starving, your argument doesn't work.
Jin, did you really just equate a meal with a Jaguar? lol
The problem, mike, is that he could drive a less expensive car that serves the same person and use the extra money he saved on helping others.
For everyone that seems to be concerned about me being judgmental, what else do I really need to know about the man to know he has spent more money than necessary on a selfish desire?
(((Rosy)))
Alright, jin, so your last sentence actually makes some sense to me. You have a valid point. I still think it's asking for ridicule to drive a Jag around with a 4JESUS license plate, though.

lewisriverman

Being a Christian does not mean you cannot have things and it does not mean you can, God has given to mankind in different measure, That man driving the Jag may be the one that leads you to a saving grace of Jesus Christ! How much is that worth.(priceless) Don't be so quick to judge others because it had a sticker doesn't make him any more christian than a gold ring through the nose makes you a pig!

auntb93

I do not believe that people who belong to any particular religion have more of a duty to help others than the rest of us. The person with the Jaguar may indeed contribute large sums to help the poor.

Nor do I believe that hunger and homelessness are primarily due to an unequal distribution of wealth. They are more due to a restriction on what the poor are permitted to do to improve their lot. If there were no restrictions on the free market, most people who are currently starving would find work enough to keep them and also to keep those who are too old or too young or disabled.

Are you aware of co-ops where poor people get together and create something, sell it through an agency and distribute the profits to all? There are thousands of them. It takes someone with initiative to get them started, but the people who would buy them wholesale and sell them at retail are motivated to do so. The problem comes with rules and regulations of all kinds, and with people who are too willing to say "just apply for government benefits" instead.

What I do say about the bumper sticker and vanity plate is that it was probably not a good idea because it makes him look like a hypocrite. I realize that there are passages in the Bible about selling all you have and give to the poor, and follow Jesus, but realistically, the world's economy would grind to a halt if everyone did that.

Chuck

I have some experience with people like that. I guarantee that person is "on fire" in their church (that's how the cuckoo christians refer to it when somebody makes a big overt deal on Sundays, making themselves seen and known). They do it because they live how they want the rest of the week, like the hypocrites they are. It's an easy way out of making good, moral decisions all of the time. Live how you want, as long as people in church see you being all churchy on Sundays.

Bright Star

You're assuming of course that the owner of the car doesn't give to charities.:) One day I was behind a truck that had a bumper sticker that said "I obey god" and about the same time I was reading it the driver threw a handful of trash out the window.