Various problems with 1996 Chrysler Sebring Convertible JX?

Laura4903

I have a 96 Chrysler Sebring Convertible with approx. 79,000 miles on it and I have been having problems with it for the past few months. I will list the things that have been going wrong and I am really hoping someone maybe able to give me some insight as to what may be causing these things and if any of them may be connected. Please only give suggestions if you know what you are talking about.
-When I turn on the high beams, the head lights go out and the high beams do not come on.
-RPM meter and the digital mile readout randomly turn off and on while I am driving. The meter drops to zero and the digital mile readout just goes out. Gas and speed gauge are fine.
-All of the vents with an exception of the defroster and the floor vents won't blow any air whether its regular air, heat or A/C.
-Twice the car has stalled immediately upon being started. I have to start it up with my foot on the gas. To get it to stay running and be drivable I have to keep the gas petal pressed for 5-10 mins

cat lady

Rookie
Headlight switch most likely for the first one.

A bad ground or loose wire with the second.

The air door selector switch probably for the third.

Possible a throttle position switch or fuel pressure regulator for the fourth. The regulator is most likely part of the pump but if i remember right, the pump is accessible by removing the bottom part of the back seat. There is an access panel there on the Sebring.

Also, if you have the 2.5L V6 like I do on my Chrysler Cirrus, expect to replace your distributor very soon. Mine went bad at 82,000 miles and again at 113,000. Not fun and not cheap.

deadhead7676

wow sounds like some serious electrical issues. One thing you might have checked is the computer(the brain) to the engine. They are known to go bad on older model chryslers.

mamamoose

Rookie
i have a 1996 jx. we have been having a problem with the transmission shifting from 3rd gear to nutrel to 2nd gear and staying there. we have changed 2 sensors but what else could be wrong. fluid is fine.

Lamb1963

Rookie
i have a 1996 jx. we have been having a problem with the transmission shifting from 3rd gear to nutrel to 2nd gear and staying there. we have changed 2 sensors but what else could be wrong. fluid is fine.
Is problem solved since your last post?? When depress brake pedal
at red light, did you hear grinding noise as well??