What do you think is a fair price for an '81 Yamaha cruiser-type bike?

nylentone

I know almost nothing about motorcycles but I am competent mechanically. It turns over but doesn't spark. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 6 in terms of condition, but it seems structurally sound...

The style is almost exactly what I am looking for, although I like the looks of the mid 70's Yamahas better.

The girl who owns it paid $300 for it a couple years ago. I think it ran when she bought it.
Are parts really that hard to find for older bikes? Yamaha isn't exactly rare...

I'm in the USA.

Yamaha man

It really depends on your ability and also what kind of Yamaha you're looking at.I have a 28 year old XS1100 Yamaha standard.I can find almost any part I need off of Ebay.But I'm an experienced Yamaha tech and as far a being old.My bike will stay with the new R6"s up to about 100 mph.After that it pulls away.Give me more info on the unit and I can possibly tell you if it's worth it.

frchrisfgn

This seems to me rather an old crock you will be forever looking for new bits , not always available, hardly seems worth the effort, there are a lot of newer cruisers on the market at reasonable prices & low mileage and T&T look in MCN, you will be glad you are a competent mechanic Good Luck
Ps I am assuming your in the UK second hand bikes are a lot cheaper in the USA