What is a good drift car?

ehsoteric

I am going to the junkyards this week because I plan to build a drift car. I want to buy a piece of crap and turn it into a drifter only because they can get beat up a lot. I was thinking about an old corolla or a 240 but if I don't find one does anyone have any cars to recommend?

-Ice-

Well I think it would depend on how you customize your car to make it good in drifting... Plus your skill would be great too.

ydb419

Rookie
It really depends on what you are looking for. There are drift cars that are better for beginners and ones that can carry you long term.

No Civics, or any other front-wheel drive vehicles. Front wheel drive vehicles do not drift, they power slide. Completely different from drifting.
You will need a rear wheel drive car to drift. In a rear wheel drive car, the ***-end will need to slide out when throttle and parking brake are applied, this allows the car to oversteer thus causing the rear wheels to "over take" the front of the vehicle.
I would suggest a Mazda Miata (MX-5), Mazda RX-7, Ford Mustang, Nissan 240zx, Toyota Supra, Nissan 350z, BMW 325i, or the granddaddy of all drift cars, the Toyota Corrola AE86.
Basically, any vehicle that is rear wheel drive will work as a drift car, it just needs a bit more power, some better tires, and, above all, suspension. Be prepared to spend lots of money in any car venture, whether drifting, auto cross, drag, or restoring.