Why do people think hummers are so bad for the environment?

Annie S

Ok, my family has two hummers. They are both H3s but most people think they are very bad for the environment but really they aren't. They are really 18 MPG. My step dad had a silverado and it was a lot worse. I do not understand why they choose to pick on the hummers. They aren't that big either so I really don't get what the big deal is.
They don't use that much fuel. And really they aren't that big. There are bigger cars out there than just the hummers. I understand the H1 but not the others.
Like I said no one picked on the silverado and that was a lot worse than the hummer. It used up more fuel and it was bigger than the hummer, but no one said anything till we got the hummer. People need to do their research.
Ok listen, my mom owns one and my dad owns one. PEOPLE STOP GETTING SO ANGRY WITH ME!
You aren't answering my question. Why do you pick on the hummer, if the silverado is worse?
Stop rating people up and down it's just their opinion! gosh...
we didn't buy it because it was cool. We bought it because we needed it.

Daisie234

Hummers use enormous amounts of fuel, have bad emissions, and are completely unnecessary if you're not in the army.

livi m

Because they use so much fuel and also because they are so flippin huge!They need like two parking spaces when they park!

Erik Q

Hummers are so bad because they are gas guzzlers! They release carbon monoxide which is a greenhouse gas, which contributes to global warming. And yes, i do know that practically all cars release this gas, but hummers release a lot more of it!

T

*! T.J. !*

Hummers use A LOT of fuel and that isn't a "pick on" issue that is a fact. Our car gets almost 50 MPG.

flatfootfred

They get terrible gas mileage. 18 mpg is really bad. Another thing is people think they are protected more, which they are not, by the huge car. I have seen some that can't even stay in there line on the road cuz they can't drive them for being too big. You're biased cuz your daddy has 2 of them.

donfletcheryh

It is actually true that many trucks on the road get worse mileage than a hummer. I have driven a lot of 18 wheelers that get worse economy.
It is not useful to go about comparing your personal conveyance vehicle with trucks, not because you can not find something worse, but because you have failed to compare what you are doing with best of breed... what is really possible.

We also hate and despise, even loath anyone who by their choice of vehicle appear to be threatening our lives even to protect themselves. We do not react that way to someone who is transporting our food in an 18 wheeler, or driving a greyhound bus. It is when the person goes out of their way to buy a vehicle designed to intimidate.

We know that Silverado owners are also scum of the earth when they buy one for the same reason, but we are not able to tell always that the vehicle might be needed for hauling goods.
That lets their owners esacape public wrath a bit.