why is my triumph tiger 955i backfireing/runing very rich?

Nigel S

2001 triumph tiger 955i, iv repalced spark plugs/air filter/ lambda sencer/air temp sencer/ignition coils an caps/idle air control valve/and there are no air leaks. thanks. nige

Don E

Rookie
Could be caused from main jet O-ring deterioration if it has them.Could also be a defective float bowl needle and seat not seating well.

Don E

Rookie
Could be caused from main jet O-ring deterioration if it has them.Could also be a defective float bowl needle and seat not seating well.

bikinkawboy

If it's backfiring, then it's most likely running too lean. Too rich and they blubber and miss, but not backfire. Have you changed the exhaust system or replaced the stock air filter with something having less resistance? If so, that could be the problem. Did it start this all of a sudden? If so I'd look for a vacuum leak somewhere between the cylinder head and the carbs and any vacuum lines running elsewhere. If there's a place you suspect, sometimes squirting WD 40 or oil on the spot will temporarily close the leak and make it run better. Does it have a vacuum operated fuel petcock? The older Kawasakis were notorious for the diaphram developing a leak and #2 carb would suck gas from it at small throttle openings when the vacuum was high. They'd miss at idle but run ok with more throttle.

When does it backfire? On decelleration? If so it's definately running too lean. If at higher speeds, then it could need a larger main jet if you've messed with the intake or exhaust system. If at idle or slightly above when warmed up, you can adjust the idle jet screws to give it more fuel. Some control fuel while others control air, so you need to find out which.