Will 30,000 BTU's effectively heat my garage?

Hossman

My garage has an insulated ceiling, but the walls are uninsulated and the door is an uninsulated metal garage door. The room is approximately 400 square feet. I'm looking at installing a vent-free natural gas heater that puts out 30,000 BTU's and is rated to heat up to 1000 square feet. I know that the square-feet ratings are on the generous side and is probably a well insulated 1000 square feet. Since my garage has uninsulated walls and an uninsulated garage door, will a heater rated for 1000 square feet be sufficient to heat my 400?

rockhead261

If your garage is fairly "tight" (draft-free) you ought to have no problem heating it with a 30K BTU heater. I used to heat a 2-car garage workshop with a kerosene heater rated at 25K BTU. My only concern would be whether or not your garage is attached to a living space. Vent-free appliances are notoriously dangerous and should not be used anywhere the combustion gasses might infiltrate living spaces. Here's a good read on the dangers of vent-free appliances: http://www99.epinions.com/content_3679363204

ToolManJobber

Without a doubt. It will not only heat it but will be efficient because it will heat it quickly and run less cycles. Consider a portable humidifier if you plan to spend time in there. It will make it more comfortable and save a little on fuel.