will a 4L80e from a 1996 2500 chevy truck work in a 1995 gmc suburban 1500 that...

mlh57m

...has a 4L60e? i have the torque converter complete trans an transfercase from the 96 chevy. have found that the 4l60e has 2 more pins in the computer plug than the 4l80e. but the 4l80e has an additional 2 pin plug that goes to an external sensor or switch all else appears the same

B

boogie_4wheel

Yes, but not without some modifications! This is not a plug-&-play swap. The earlier 4l80's were stand-alone units so you would just need to have your truck computer flashed to think that it was hooked up to a manual tranny. Since the one you have is an 'E', some more junk is needed. Check out the website I added, it shows some of the stuff you will need. The tranny is a little longer, so your driveshaft will need to be shortened, your crossmember for the t-case will need to be modified/replaced, the exhaust may get in the way...

I have heard of many people doing this, but haven't researched it very much YET. I have a 4l60e, and would love to swap in an 80 if my tranny ever dies (186k and works like new).

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/4L60E_to_4L80E_Swap.htm

Also do a search for "4l60e to 4l80e swap" on the net and you will be able to find many truck forums talking about this!