Would driving a 04 Land Rover Freeland without a cooling fan damage the engine?

MCB7777

In the past four months, I've been noticing that I've been having to add coolant to my Land Rover Freelander and I could smell the coolant in the cabin. I took it into the dealer and asked them to do a pressure test. They said they couldn't find any leaks. I'm somewhat of a capable mechanic and knew something was wrong. So I took it to another dealer in my area and they found that the cooling fans were disconnected. They re-connected it for us and all is well now. There was nothing funny in the coolant and the oil is clean, so I'm assuming the head gasket is OK. Do you think there's any permanant damge to the engine? It's been driven mostly in fall & winter months. Maybe the cooler temps helped out?

I'd be concerned about the heater core leaking if you can smell it inside.

As long as your car is moving, air is passing through the radiator. It's when you come to a stop that heat will buid up in the cooling system bacause the air is NOT flowing thrugh the radiator to carry away the engine heat.

john M

Rookie
nah. unless it over heated i wouldnt worry bout it. as long as you keep moving and the air flowing through the radiator itll be fine. dont over heat it and youll be fine.