The reversing lights dont work on my 51 reg vauxhall corsa, ive tried

S

saint_cazza22uk

changing the bulbs? Also as well the drivers side indicator light is blinking really fast but none of the bulbs have gone i dont know what to do can anyone help as the car is going in for its MOT in a weeks time and i know it will fail on them little faults

MarkEverest

Your indicator is blinking really fast because one of the bulbs on that side is blown - put your hazards on and check all bulbs around the car, if any don't work you will fail MoT.

On the side of the gearbox somewhere is a switch that is thrown when you select reverse gear that causes the reversing lights to illuminate. You can test this circuit by unplugging the lead that runs to it and shorting it with the ignition switched on. You will not fail MoT if the lights do not work.

Whilst you are there, ask an assistant to press the brake pedal and check all of your brake lights, including with your headlights switched on. If one side illuminates only, and at the same time the other side's tail light goes out, then your light unit on that side is not earthed properly - this is a common fault. Undo the earth wire where it bolts to the car body and clean it up with some emery paper. You will fail MoT if any lights except reversing lights do not work.

Haza

Rookie
Reversing lights are NOT tested on an MOT, they are not a legal requirement and your car won't fail if they're not working. There is a switch which is pushed when you select reverse gear, this is probably broken if your reversing lights don't work. Maybe the indicator relay is faulty if you're sure none of the bulbs are blown

frankie g

Rookie
It's probably the reverse light switch which is attached to the gearbox.
To test it take off the plug and bridge the connection with a piece of wire.
The indicator should be a blown bulb.
Are you sure that you have checked all of them including the side repeater?

Look at the edge where your boot lid closes!! on all fords there is a copper contact which meets when closed.

On the boot lid will be the pins make sure they are clean and not obstructed.

on the bottom when the lid closes are the contacts it will look like a copper strip, also check this make sure its clean and nothing covering it!

M

michael2k_18

despite what others have said your car WILL NOT fail on its reverse lights as they are not an MOT test item!!!!

How ever the indictors are a problem it could be a dodgy earth but it is more likely to be the Body Control Module (BCM), when the Corsa C came out ( X reg onwards) vauxhall had loads of problem with the indicators, i believe it was the BCM causing take it into your local Vauxhall dealer they can do a diagnostic test on the vehicle and tell you exactly what the issue is

Well i think It's likely the turn around lightweight swap which is adhered to the gearbox.To check it take off the close and connection the attachment with a part of wire.The sign should be a blown bulb